Pondicherry Sambar- Pondicherry

Puducherry, previously known as Pondicherry is an union territory situated at the east coast of India. It is also the French Riviera of the east. For me Pondicherry bring me so many childhood memories as I lived there for five years. I joined a school in Pondicherry for my fourth standard and studied until eighth standard. Then we shifted to Mysore. Though I don't have contacts with friends from Pondicherry, I have so many fond memories. Every weekend dad would take us to the beach. He used to say that whereever you are, if you walk in the east direction, you will end up in beach. This may seem silly now but during those days, the mere thought of beach brought joy. We used to go by walk to the beach. it was a long way but walking through the busy Nehru Strret was so much fun. Dad would take us to a sweet stall, where we would enjoy kheer kadam, rasmalai, rasgollas and then we would walk and reach the chaat wala. He was the best chaat wala and the paani puris he served were so delicious. Even now I remember that taste. Then comes the ice cream. Dollops was famous at that time and we would get aflavour of our choice. Byt he time we reach beach, we would be full. Then time for playing. And while returning we would be dead tired. Then I will be eagerly waiting for the next weekend. Seafood is very famous in Pondicherry and grandma would take me to the fish market. I was so afraid of the crab stall as the crabs would be crawling all over. I could write on about my experience in Pondicherry but a single post is not enough. So let us move on to the recipe of the day.
Though I remember so many things about Pondicherry, I really didn't know anything about their cuisine. I really miss my mom now. If she was there I would have certainly asked her about the authentic recipes. Now it is only google for me to help. I saw the recipe for this sambar at Aparna's blog. It was so different from the sambar I prepare. So I opted this recipe. It was so delicious. I made it for breakfast and served it with dosas and the same with rice for our lunch. Either way it tasted great. 




Recipe Source: My Diverse Kitchen
Ingredients:
Toor Dhal-1 cup
Water-2 cups
Turmeric Powder-1/2 tsp
Oil-1 tbs
Tomato-1
Pearl Onions-10-15
Potato-1
Carrot-1
Drumstick-1
Salt-to taste
Tamarind-a gooseberry sized ball
Garlic -6 cloves
Cumin Seeds-1/2 tbs (crushed)
Pepper-1/2 tbs ( crushed)
Oil-1 tbs
Mustard Seeds-1 tsp
Red Chilly-6
Asafoetida-1/4 tsp
Urad dhal-1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves-2 sprigs
Coriander Leaves-for garnish

Procedure:
1. Pressure cook dhal with water, oil and turmeric powder for 3 minutes and set aside (when the first whistle blows, reduce flame to low and let it cook for 3 minutes. Let the pressure subside by itself)
2. In a pan heat oil and add mustard, urad dhal and asafoetida.
3. When they crackle, add curry leaves and broken red chillies.
4. Add onions and crushed garlic.
5. Saute for a minute and add cubed vegetables.
6. Add tomatoes and water from dhal.
7. Add slat, cover and cook until the vegetables are done.
8. Add the tamarind extract, cooked dhal, cumin powder, pepper powder and let it boil for 3 more minutes.
9. Add coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or dosas..








Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 39


An InLinkz Link-up


Print Friendly and PDF

Labels: , , , ,