Eggless French Yule Log/ Buche de Noel

Yule log is long and hard log burned during traditional  Christmas and Yule celebrations. This cake is related to the log and is made for Christmas. It is called as Buche De Noel and the recipe has a lots of eggs to get the perfect sponge. This was suggested by Tanushree of Ma Niche along with so many other drool worthy recipes. This has been in my to do list for long and so I chose to do it for this month's Baking Partner's Challenge. Making the eggless sponge for the roll was a challenge. I have tried so many recipes in the past but always end with a cracky roll. So this time I googled for a perfect eggless sponge sheet and I came across one at Artisan Vegan Life. For the filling I adapted the recipe from Williams- Sonama and both the recipes came out really well...



The sponge is made with egg replacer. As I had some in my pantry, I used it to make the sheet cake. Unfortunately just after I maixed the batter, there was a power shut down and it lasted for 8 hours. I totally freaked out. Then I just put the tray in the fridge and kept my fingers crossed. After power was restored, I removed the tray fro fridge, waited for the batter to return to room temperature and then baked it. I should have covered the top of the tin with foil when I placed it in the fridge. The top was dried and it started cracking when baked. My heart sank to see the cracks. But still I went on with the recipe. I thought it was going to crumble while rolling but surprisingly, it held shape and didn't crack. It was quite a miracle. The sponge was so light and it rolled well. I was so happy one the log cake took shape. My hubby returned from work and he was un aware of this log cake. I showed it to him and he asked me why it was like a log. I was so happy to hear it. I had to explain it to him that it was the traditional design for the cake. 


This cake sings chocolate as the sponge, filling and the frosting are all chocolate and it was a delightful treat for my chocolate loving daughter. I sliced it up into pieces and refrigerated them. It was her snacks daily for a week and she was so happy with that. I need to try it again with a vanilla filling so that the roll is visible...




Chocolate Frosting

Recipe Source: Williams Sonama
Ingredients:
Bitter Sweet Chocolate-300 gm
Cream-1 cup
Vanilla-1/2 tsp
Salt-a pinch

Procedure:
1. Bring a pan with water to boil. Simmer the flame.
2. Place a large on top of the pan without touching the water.
3. Add chocolate and cream.
4. Wait until it melts.
5. Remove from the double boiler and whisk it to make a smooth chocolatey mixture.
6. Add vanilla and salt and mix.
7. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
8. With the help of a hand mixer beat until smooth. 
9. The mixture firms up after refrigeration.



Melt together cream and chocolate.



Remove from the boiler.



Whisk to make a shiny mixture Refrigerate.



Beat until creamy.


The Chocolate Sponge


Recipe Source: Artisan Vegan Life
Ingredients:
Egg Replacer-1/2 cup
Water-1 cup
Sugar-2/3 cup
Vanilla-1 tsp
Flour/ Maida-1 cup
Cocoa Powder-1/3 cup
Baking Powder-1 tsp

Procedure:
1. Preheat oven to 150 C.
2. In a bowl mix together water and egg replacer.
3. With a mixer, beat until frothy and double in volume.
4. Add sugar and beat for 8 minutes until the volume is doubled.
5. Add in vanilla essence and beat.
6. In another bowl sieve together flour, cocoa and baking powder.
7. Add this to the egg replacer mixture and gently fold to incorporate.
8. Do not over mix. 
9. Grease and line a sheet pan.
10. Pour the batter and spread it out as an even layer.
11. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
12. Let it cool on the pan for 15 minutes.
13. Flip it on another baking paper.




Mix water and egg replacer.



Beat until frothy.


Add sugar.



Add vanilla and beat.



Sieve together flour, cocoa and baking powder.



Add it to the egg replacer.



Mix gently.



Pour in a baking tray and bake.



Flip it on a baking paper.


Assembling The Log


Make sugar syrup by boiling 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of water and 1/2 tsp of vanilla.



Remove seeds in the cherries and cut them into halves.



Brush the sponge with the syrup.



Apply a portion of the chocolate frosting on the sponge.



Arrange the cherries.



Lift the paper with the cake. and start rolling.



Use paper to roll it into a tight log.



Cover it with the same paper and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.



Place the log on a plate.



Take the frosting in a zip lock or disposable cone.



Apply it evenly on the log.



Cover it up fully.



With a spatula smoothen the top.



With a fork make lines to resemble a log.



Keep the lines uneven for a natural effect. I slice it on one side and place it on the side.



Refrigerate. Slice it up and serve.



Who wants this????


Print Friendly and PDF

Labels: , , , , , , ,