Eggless Pear Upside Down Cake

After a month long gap I am back in the Blogging Marathon. This is the Blogging Marathon #34 and I will be doing all the four weeks. For the first week, it is cooking with fruits. I chose Pear as the fruit and I am posting the very first recipe made with pear. As mentioned in my earlier post, I celebrated my birthday before two days. And for that I made this soft delicious cake with a nice caramel soaked pear topping. It has been my dream to try out upside down cake and it came true with this cake. Upside down cake is one in which the fruit layer is arranged at the bottom of the cake tin and the batter is poured on top. After baking the cake is flipped up side down and the fruits will become the topping. Caramel is added at the fruit layer and it gives a nice finish to the cake. I saw so many pear upside down cake recipes but finally went with my usual cake recipe. This recipe is best when done in a 9" or 10" pan. As I didn't have one I made it in an 8" pan and I was so nervous while it was in oven. But due to luck, the batter didn't over flow and it saved my day. The cake turned out so soft, moist and delicious. The caramel soaked pears were so soft and just melted in the mouth. We all loved the cake so much and Sruti was double happy as I made this for my birthday. 



Makes a 9" cake
Ingredients:
For The Caramel Layer:
Sugar-1 cup
Water-1/4 cup
Butter-4 tbs

For The Cake:
Maida/ Flour-250 gm
Baking Powder-2 tsp
Baking Soda-1 tsp
Butter-100 gm
Condensed Milk- 1 tin
Milk- 1 cup
Vanilla Essence-1 tsp

Pear-1, medium sized

Procedure:
1. Peel, core and slice pear into thin wedges.
2. Preheat oven to 175C.
3. Butter a 9" round tin and arrange the pears in a circular pattern.
4. Heat sugar and water and bring it to boil. Do not stir.
5. When the sugar is completely melted and is boiling, stir once.
6. Let it boil until the syrup starts changing colour.
7. When it is golden, remove from heat and add butter by tablespoons continuously whisking the mixture.
8. When all the butter is incorporated into the caramel, pour it immediately on the arranged pears spreading it uniformly.
9. Now beat together butter and condensed milk until creamy.
10. Mix flour, baking powder and baking soda in a separate bowl.
11. add milk and essence to the butter mixture and beat until incorporated.
12. Add the flour and using a wooden spatula mix it gently to combine.
13. Pour the batter on top of the caramel.
14. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
15. Allow the cake to cool for 30 minutes.
16. Invert it on a serving dish.
17. Slice it and serve.



Arrange pear like this in a buttered tin.



Mix sugar and water and let it boil.



When the colour is golden, remove from heat and add butter.



Whisk until incorporated.



Pour it evenly on the pear.



Prepare batter.



Pour it on the caramel. Mine was an 8" tin so it the batter filled the tin. Don't do this. Use a 9" or 10" tin to avoid overflowing of batter.



Bake until done.



After cooling for 30 minutes, flip it onto the serving plate.



Slice it up, serve and Enjoy!! Here is my virtual birthday treat to all my readers...


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#34


Print Friendly and PDF

Labels: , , , , ,