Navrathri Day 4 - Sweet Idiyappam

Yesterday was the fourth day of Navrathri and from the 4th day till 6th day Goddess Lakshmi is worshiped. Fortunately I got a lotus yesterday and it made a nice decoration to the kolam I drew before the Kalasam. For the morning I made Rava Laddu and Mandakki Oggarane, leaving the onions in oggarane as it was for neivedhyam. Evening it rained heavily and there was a power shut down. So it was completely dark inside the house and I couldn't take the snaps of the evening neivedhyam. I used two lamps to take the shot but was not quite satisfied. And the kalasam looked beautiful in the glow of the lamps lit. As a photographer, I couldn't resist taking a snap in that settings. So Goddess came into the camera. See how divine this looks. And I also deleted my morning snaps by mistake. When the power returned, I took the snaps of the evening neivedhyam. Due to lack of natural light, it may not be up to the mark. But something is better than nothing, Right? For the morning dishes I used my old photos as I had already posted the recipes.




Rava Laddu  ( click on link for recipe)



Mandakki Oggarane (click on link for recipe)




Karamani Sundal (recipe coming soon)



Sweet Idiyappam

Mom used to make this whenever she made idiyappam at home. I used the brown rice flour to make the idiyappam and so it is nutritious too. This is a very simple dish to put together if you have cooked idiyappam at home. As I din't have idiyappam flour at home I used the puttu flour. The idiyappam didn't come out in a continuos string but broke into small pieces. But it was OK as I was going to break it into small pieces for the final dish. If you have idiyappam flour, use it. Taste wise it was very soft and delicious. My hubby hates idiyappam but finished off this bowl in minutes. He didn't ask and I didn't say that it was idiyappam. But I was satisfied by the result. 


Ingredients:
Puttu Flour- 1 cup
Warm Water- 1 cup + a little more
Cardamom Powder-1/4 tsp
Sugar-1/2 cup (adjust according to taste)
Grated Coconut-1/2 cup

Procedure:
1. Mix warm water to the flour and make a soft dough.
2. Take small portions in a idiyappam press and press out idiyappam on a plate or idli moulds.
3. Steam cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. Remove from steamer, break the cooked idiyappam into small pieces.
5. Finish off the remaining dough.
6. Add cardamom powder, sugar and coconut to the prepared idiyappam.
7. Mix it well and serve.



Prepare dough.



Load idiyappam press.



Press out spiral idiyappam on a greased plate or idli mould.



When cooked break it into small pieces.



Add the other ingredients.



Mix well.




How cute is she and how divine she looks???



Labels: , , , ,