Sarkara Varatti

Today I am so happy as I received a mail from Naari Sakhi regarding my interview. Yes, It got published. If you want to know more about me, please click on the picture below to read my interview. 


And to celebrate this happy moment I am sharing with you the famous Kerala Sadya special Sakkara Varatti. Sarkara Varatti is sweet chips made from the raw banana. It is a special snack of Kerala and is served in a sadya meal. Nendram Kaai is the best variety to make this chips. When I went to Coimbatore, I saw these Nendram Kaai in a fruit shop and at once bought them to try this recipe. The next morning I went to the kitchen and saw the yellow skin of the nendram kaai which was supposed to be green. But I couldn't skip making this as I had marked it for this Blogging Marathon. In Madurai we don't get this variety of banana. So I had to carry on with the recipe in spite of banana's skin turning yellow. This was made when mom was there. It was nearly 4 months back. She even tasted one even though she was allergic to raw banana. She was that much interested in my cooking and trying out new recipes. The chips turned out very nice. My daughter loved it. I made it with three bananas and she finished it off in a single day. I was quite happy with the result but am not at all happy with the snaps. Taking snaps at mom's place is very hard for me as I couldn't find a place with good sunlight. I tried to take it in every room and these were the snaps that turned out okay. The original recipe is from Kothiyavunu. If I can lay my hands on Nendram Kaai, I will surely try it again and at that time I will update this post with new pictures.



Recipe Source: Kothiyavunu
Ingredients:
Nendram Kaai/ Raw Banana- 3
Turmeric-1 tsp
Salt-a pinch
Water-1/2 cup mixed with 1/4 tsp of salt
Jaggery-1 cup
Dried Ginger Powder-1 tbs
Cardamom Powder-1 tsp
Cumin Powder-1 tsp
Oil-To Deep Fry
Granulated Sugar-2-3 tbs

Procedure:
1. Peel banana's skin and immerse in water along with turmeric powder and a pinch of salt for 30 minutes. This is to retain the colour of the banana and to remove the stickiness.
2. Remove from water, pat them dry and slit them into half lengthwise. Then cut into 1.5 cm thick slices.
3. Deep fry the pieces in oil of medium heat for 7-8 minutes. 
4. Mix water and salt to make the saline solution.
5. Minimize the flame and sprinkle the saline solution on the chips. Immediately cover with lid to avoid spluttering.
6. When the sizzling stops, remove lid and keep on frying on medium flame. Keep on stirring to get even colour.
7. It takes about 20-25 minutes for the banana pieces to cook and change colour, and become crispy.
8. Remove from oil and transfer to a plate.
9. In a heavy bottomed pan, add jaggery and water.
10. When it completely dissolves, strain it with a strainer and place it on heat again.
11. When it starts boiling keep on stirring until the syrup becomes thick.
12. When you drop it into a bowl of water, it should form a pearl.
13. At this stage add the fried banana slices and mix well to coat the pieces evenly with jaggery.
14. Add the ginger powder, cardamom powder and cumin powder and mix well.
15. Now remove it from heatand allow it to cool for 2 minutes. 
16. Add the granulated sugar and mix well. 
17. Allow it to cool completely.
18. Once cool the pieces will not stick to each other.
19. Enjoy!!!




The skin was supposed to be green but mine turned yellow.



Remove skin and immerse in turmeric water for 30 minutes.



Remove from water, pat it dry and cut into 1.5 cm thick slices.



Fry in oil.



After 8 minutes, sprinkle saline water.


Once crispy remove from oil and allow it to cool.



Mix jaggery and water and prepare syrup.



When dropped in water the syrup should form a pearl.



Add the fried banana slices and mix.



Add all the powders and granulated sugar.



Allow it to cool completely.



Serve and Enjoy!!


The granulated sugar gives a nice finish..






Logo courtesy : Preeti

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 32

Labels: , , , ,