Eggless French Toast

I was first introduced to French Toast when in school. I visited my aunt on a vacation and she made that eggy bread slice which was sweet and soft and I just loved it. But mom never made it for me. After I became a vegetarian, I stayed away from French Toast. But in this three years of blogging, I have learnt to convert so many egg based recipes into eggless ones and so tried out this french toast with out eggs. This recipe is inspired by Sharmi's Passions. I made it with the Anandama Bread I made earlier. I prefer to use some crusty bread rather than the soft bread we get in India. Now as I make crusty breads at home, I am having this toast now and then and enjoying it a lot. This is very easy to make and is apt for kids returning home  from a tiring day at school. I have seen Nigella Lawson making a french toast and the bread slices are cut larger so that it absorbs more milk and stays soft. So even I sliced the anandama bread into thick slices and it turned out very soft and delicious. If using the usual bread available, then you should not soak the slices in the milk mixture. Just place it on the milk and flip it immediately, and remove it at once from the milk mixture. Other wise you will end up with a soggy toast resembling a pudding. And it also better to use a non stick tawa to make mess free french toast. Today is the second day of Blogging Marathon #31 Week 3. I am linking this to Kid's Delight  - After School Bites hosted by Nishaand started by Srivalli 




Recipe Source: Sharmi's Passions
Ingredients:
Thick Bread Slices -5 ( I used Anandama Bread)
Milk-1/2 cup
Vanilla Custard Powder-2 tsp
Sugar-3 tsp
Ghee-2 tsp

Procedure:
1. In a bowl mix sugar, milk and custard powder.
2. Pour it onto a plate.
3. Place the bread slices on the milk and allow it to soak for 5-10 seconds. If using regular bread, place it on milk and flip it immediately so that it does not turn soggy.
4. Flip the bread and allow the next side to soak for 5-10 seconds. The slices must be soft yet firm.
5. Heat a taw and brush with ghee.
6. Place the slices on tawa and cook until the base is golden and firm.
7. Flip and cook the other side also. Drizzle ghee on the sides of the slices.
8. When both sides are golden, remove from tawa and serve it hot...




Place the slices in milk mixture and coat both sides.




Cook on a tawa until golden.




Serve immediately. You can also drizzle chocolate sauce to give it an extra kick.....


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#31

Labels: , ,