Kerala Kadala Curry

Kerala style kadala curry is a perfect combination for puttu, idiyappam and other kerala specialities. Today morning as I was thinking a gravy for breakfast, I remembered the soaked chickpeas in my freezer. I wanted to prepare something new and when searching the web for recipes, I saw this recipe at Nags' Edible Garden. I have tried many recipes from her space and they came out perfect. So without much thinking, I wrote down the recipe and went on preparing it. Once when I visited Munnar, we had to stop at a hotel on the way. It was a veg and non veg hotel. As I am a strict vegetarian, I asked for some vegetarian dishes. The only vegetarian dish available was kadala curry and they served it along with parotta. I remembered that flavour and was expecting it form the gravy I was preparing today. And it was spot on. It took me back to munnar. But the curry I made was far far better in taste than that I had in the hotel. This recipe is very simple to make if you have pre soaked chickpeas at hand. If not you need to plan it the day before and soak it over night. This gravy is coconut based. The spices are roasted before grinding and that gives the wonderful aroma to the curry. As I didn't have time to prepare puttu or idiyappam, I prepared pooris and it was a great hit at home. Both PK and Sruti loved it.



Recipe Source: Edible Garden
Ingredients:
Chickpeas- 1 cup ( Soak it overnight)
Salt-to taste
Turmeric Powder-1/2 tsp

For The Spice Paste:
Oil-1 tbs
Coconut-1/3 cup
Coriander Seeds-4 tbs
Star Anise-2
Garlic-5 pods
Red Chilly-6-7

For Tempering:
Oil-1 tbs
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Curry Leaves-a sprig

Procedure:
1. In a pan heat one tbs oil and add coconut, red chilly, coriander seeds, star anise and garlic.
2. Roast it until aromatic.
3. Grind it to a smooth paste adding water.
4. Pressure cook the soaked chickpeas for 3-4 minutes.
5. In a pan add oil and add mustard and curry leaves. 
6. When they splutter, add the ground masala, boiled chickpeas, salt and turmeric powder.
7. Add enough water to make a thin gravy.
8. Boil it for 5-7 minutes on low flame until the gravy thickens.
8. Serve hot along with puttu, appam, idiyappam or rotis.



Linking this to
Mission Explore Food- Lentils hosted by Rafeeda and started by Sheelu and Pallavi
Spotlight-Beans and Lentils by Indrani

Labels: , , , , ,