Cooked Chapathi/ Seyal Phulka

What do you do when you have leftover chapathis from yesterday's dinner? We used to reheat them for breakfast. But my SIL who is a Sindhi introduced us to this delicious Sindhi breakfast. Using leftover chapathis this dish can be made in minutes. It was tough adjusting to the taste first. As you all know South Indians eat spicy food. But this is mild as it uses only two green chillies. But after some time it became our family favourite. Once my aunty asked me to prepare this dish. I soaked the chapathis long and we ended with something like chapathi kali. So I stayed away from preparing this. As I haven't prepared this dish, my hubby was never introduced to it. After a long time, I tried preparing this for breakfast and reduced the soaking time to just 5 minutes.  I also added some onion and tomatoes for the extra flavour. As expected hubby was not very much pleased, but still he ate it. Hope to add some red chilly powder next time for the extra kick. But I was so happy to have made it right and it just brought back memories of my life before marriage in mom's place. I served it along with beet and carrot salad.


Ingredients:
Leftover chapathis-6-8 (should be thicker. If thin then reduce soaking time to 2 minutes)
Onion-1
Tomato-1
Oil-1 tbs
Cumin Seeds-1 tsp
Hing-a pinch
Garlic-4 pods
Green Chilly-2-3
Salt-to taste
Turmeric Powder-1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder-1 tbs
Coriander Leaves-3-4 tbs

Procedure:
1. Chop onion, tomato, garlic and green chillies.
2. Heat oil in a pan.
3. At the same time, tear the chapathis to small pieces and soak in a cup of water.
4. Add cumin seeds and hing to oil.
5. When they crackle add the chopped garlic and saute for a minute.
6. Add onions and saute until golden.
7. Add the tomatoes and saute until the mixture is dry.
8. Add 1/4 cup of water along with salt, turmeric and the soaked chapathis.
9. Add the coriander powder and stir until the mixture become slightly thick.
10. Let it boil for a minute.
11. Stir in the coriander leaves and remove from flame.
12. Serve immediately. The mixture may look thin but after a while the chapathis will absorb the water.




Soak chapathis in water.



Saute onions, garlic and tomatoes.



Add the remaining ingredients.



Garnish with coriander leaves.



Serve and enjoy.

Labels: , ,