Pazham Pori / Ethakka Appam - Kerala Style Banana Fritters

When I was searching for nendram pazham to make the banana halwa for ICC, I couldn't get it. But I got it now and couldn't resist buying them. After buying, I wanted to try out some authentic recipe from Kerala and I was browsing the web. The top most recipe which turned out in the search is this pazham pori. Every recipe described this as an authentic Kerala snack and as I had all the ingredients at hand I tried it for our evening snack a week back. The first recipe I saw asked for besan and rice flour, just like our bajji batter. So I made the batter and as I had some doubts, I again searched for some recipes. Then I ended up with the recipe by Nags of Edible Garden. But the batter was different which used maida. So I searched for some more recipes and all the recipes used maida. So I kept the bajji batter aside and once again prepared this batter with maida. I didn't waste that bajji batter. I added some wheat flour, onions and green chillies and made roti for the dinner. PK couldn't detect besan in the roti but was praising that rotis were so nice and tasted bit different. So sometimes experiments give us some nice recipes. Coming to the pazham pori, I added extra sugar to the batter. The fritter turned out nice and crisp and delicious. Though it lost the crispy texture when cool. But I preferred the cool chewy ones rather than the hot crispy ones. I served it along with a cup of green tea to PK and he liked it...



Recipe Source: Edible Garden
Ingredients:
Nendram Pazham-3
Maida/ All purpose Flour-1 cup
Rice Flour-2 tbs
Turmeric Powder-a pinch
Sugar-3 tsp
Baking Soda-1/4 tsp
Salt-1/4 tsp
Oil-To Deep Fry

Procedure:
1. Peel the skin and slice the bananas into 6-8 pieces.
2. In a bowl mix flour, salt, sugar, turmeric powder, baking soda and rice flour.
3. Add enough water to make a thick batter.
4. Heat oil in a pan.
5. Dip the slices in the batter and drop into hot oil.
6. Fry until both sides are golden.
7. Serve it hot.



These are the nendram pazhams


Peel and slice them.



Prepare batter.



Dip the slices in batter and evenly coat them.



Deep fry in hot oil.



Serve and enjoy..

Labels: , , , ,