For The Savarin:
All Purpose Flour-1 1/2 cups
Warm Water-1 tbs
Curd/ Yogurt-3/4 cup
Baking Soda-3/4 tsp
Instant Yeast-3/4 tsp
Orange Zest-1/2 tbs
For The Vanilla Custard Cream:
Agar agar/ China Grass-5 gm
Vanilla Custard Powder-1 1/2 tbs
For The Glaze:
Apple Jam-1 tbs
For The Soaking Syrup:
Water-1 1/2 cups
Zest of one Orange
Orange Juice-3/4 cup
Cinnamon-1 small stick
Mango slices for serving
For The Savarin:
1. Mix 1 1/2 tbs of flour, yeast and warm water in a bowl and set it aside for 1 hour.
2. Mix curd and baking soda and let it bubble.
3. After 30 minutes of mixing the sponge, take a cup of flour and 1/2 cup of curd mixture in a food processor and process until fully incorporated. Cover and set it aside for 30 minutes.
4. Now add the doubled sponge, zest of orange, remaining flour( keep one tbs aside) and sugar to the prepared dough.
5. Run the processor for 2 minutes. You will see beautiful strands of the dough. This shows the formation of gluten.
6. Add salt and run the processor for 30 seconds.
7. Finally add the butter and the reserved one tbs of flour and run the processor for 2 minutes. By now the dough will be ready.
8. Transfer to a bowl, cover with cling wrap and set it aside for 2-3 hours or until the dough is double in volume.
9. Grease a muffin tray.
10. Deflate dough and with the help of ice cream scoop, divide it among the 12 molds.
11. Cover and set it aside to double.
12. Preheat oven to 170C.
13. Bake the savarins for 20 minutes or until the crust is golden.
14. When cool, loosen the savarins with a knife from the molds. Place on wire rack until completely cool.
15. Leave it overnight to dry. I placed the wire rack inside the cool oven and closed the door and left it overnight.
1. In a heavy bottomed pan add sugar, water, cinnamon and orange zest.
2. Bring to boil, switch flame to medium and let it boil for 5 minutes.
3. Let it cool down a bit.
Soaking the savarins:
1. Place the savarins inside the molds and pour ladle full of warm syrup inside each mold.
2. The savarins will absorb the syrup. Do not add more syrup as it will make the savarins soggy.
3. After 2 minutes, remove the savarins and place it on a wire rack.
4. Place the rack on the tray to catch the dripping syrup.
Vanilla Custard Cream:
1. Boil 2 cups of milk. Simmer.
2. Add the china grass to 1/2 cup of milk and let it soak for 5 minutes.
3. Heat the milk and let the china grass dissolve in milk.
4. To the other half cup of milk add the vanilla custard powder and mix until there are no lumps in it.
5. Now add this custard milk to the boiling milk and cook until the milk is slightly thick.
6. Add the china grass mixture. Mix well and remove from flame.
7. Let it cool. Refrigerate until set.
Serving The Savarins:
1. Place the savarins on a plate.
2. Mix he jam and water and apply on the savarins.
3. Top it with the set cream.
4. Serve along with fresh mango slices.
Mix the sponge.
Mix curd and baking soda.
Mix the first dough and let it rest for 30 minutes.
By 1 hour the sponge would be ready.
Add the other ingredients except butter and process until thread form in the dough.
Add butter and process for 2 minutes.
Transfer dough to a bowl.
Prepare the soaking syrup.
Wait until the dough is double.
Divide it between 12 muffin moulds.
When done, rest it overnight, soak in the syrup and place on wire rack.
Prepare the custard cream. Refrigerate until set.
Brush the top with the jam glaze.
Serve along with custard cream and mangoes.
The texture of the savarin was wonderful..