Kariveppilai Milagu Saadam/ Curry Leaves Pepper Rice

For the third week of blogging marathon I wanted to prepare some recipes from the cook books I have. I have been collecting cookbooks and recipes from news paper for so many years and I have a huge collection of recipes. I refer to them some times but usually they just stay in the cupboard. for the magazine Aval Vikatan they provide a suppliment with 30 recipes. This has been going on for years and I never miss to buy the book. So there is a pile of suppliment copies with loads and loads of recipes. For the theme I chose a recipe from this week's suppliment. It is a very easy recipe but with medicinal value. It is good for sore throat and cold as it has black pepper and curry leaves. Pepper give a nice spiciness to the rice. Yesterday I prepared this for our lunch and served it along with appalam. I never thought that Sruti will like it but to my surprise she liked it. Though she complained that is it little hot, she finished her portion with out much argument. 


Ingredients:
Cooked Rice-2-3 cups
Curry leaves-1 cup
Hing/ Asafoetida-1/4 tsp
Salt-1/8 tsp

Black Pepper-1 tbs (adjust according to your taste)
Sesame Oil-1 tbs
Mustard and Urad Dhal-1 tsp

Procedure:
1. In a pan dry roast curry leaves until crisp. Transfer to a mixer jar.
2. In the same pan roast pepper, hing and salt and add it to the curry leaves.
3. Grind to a fine powder.
4. Take rice in a bowl. 
5.  Heat oil and add mustard and urad dhal.
6. When they crackle, add it to the rice and mix well.
7. Add the prepared powder to rice, mix gently with out breaking the grains.
8. Serve with papad or appalam.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#25

Labels: , , , ,