Chevu / Savoury Murukku


Chevu is a besan based savoury snack which is a favourite among our family. DH buys chevu whenever he visits the nearby store. For the last few weeks the store hasn’t got the brand of chevu he likes. So he has been asking me to prepare it at home. I was just postponing the preparation because I wanted to make it for Deepavali. Then I called up my mom and asked for the recipe last week. My mom prepares the tastiest chevu. But she is not very good at giving exact measurements. But as I wanted measurements, she gave me the measurements in Padi (a type of cup measurement used in Tamil Nadu). I then converted it to the basic cup measurements and prepared it. I did little changes for DH. Mom never added pepper but he is a fan of pepper in chevu. I also added butter for extra crispness. The result was fabulous. We loved it so much. Today is the second day of Blogging Marathon#22. I am also linking this to WTML hosted by Preethi and started by me.



Ingredients:
Parboiled Rice-2 3/4cup / 500gm
Besan-4 cups / 500gm
Salt-to taste
Garlic-25-30pods
Red Chilly- 30 or according to your taste
Butter-5tbs
Oil-To Deep Fry
Black Pepper-3tbs

Procedure:
1.    Wash and soak parboiled rice for 3hours.
2.    Drain water and transfer it to the wet grinder.
3.    In a mixer jar take garlic and red chillies and garlic and grind it to a paste.
4.    Add this paste to the rice and grind it to a thick and smooth batter.
5.    Transfer the batter to a bowl.
6.    Add crushed black pepper, salt, besan and melted butter.
7.    Knead everything together to form soft dough.
8.    If the dough is hard, then pressing chevu into oil will be tough. So let it be soft.
9.    Heat oil in a pan.
10.   Pinch a portion of dough and fill the murukku press.
11.   Press out the dough in spiral formation into the hot oil.
12.   Flip the chevu when one side is done.
13.   Remove chevu when the sizzling of oil stops. Repeat with the remaining dough.
14.  When cool, break I into small pieces and store in an air tight jar.
 


Wash and soak rice



Grind garlic and red chillies



Add it to rice and grind it in wet grinder.



Transfer the thick batter to a bowl.



Add the other ingredients




Make a soft dough.



Fill a murukku press.



Press out in form of murukku directly into the oil.



Remove when the sizzling stops



Break into small pieces when cool.


Labels: , , , , ,