Paasiparuppu Puttu


Today is the second day of Blogging Marathon #21 and the dish today I am posting is a Chettinad speciality.  Chettinad cuisine is famous for its delicious and unique recipes. This puttu is one among them. I saw the recipe in a cook book. I also had an opportunity to taste this puttu from my neighbour. It was so nice and so I decided to try it out. As I had guests three weeks back, I decided to prepare it for them for the evening snack. Though the result was not as tasty as the puttu I tasted before, it was some what similar. As I didn’t have an idli plate to steam cook the moong dhal batter, I used a cake tin to cook it. That was the mistake I made. The puttu was a bit lumpy. Next time I would make it properly so that it crumbles well.



Ingredients:
Moong Dhal- 1cup
Brown Sugar/ Vellam-1cup
Grated Coconut-1/2cup
Ghee-1tbs
Cardamom Powder-1/4tsp

Procedure:
  1. Soak moong dhal for 2hours and grind it to a smooth paste adding very little water.
  2. Pour batter into idli plates and steam cook until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
  3. You can also pour the whole batter into a greased cake tin and steam cook it until done.
  4. Allow it to cool completely. Cut it into small pieces and mash it to form fine crumbs.
  5. Melt sugar with 1/8cup of water. When it is completely dissolved strain it to get rid of impurities.
  6. Heat it again and when it starts boiling add the moong dhal crumbs along with cardamom powder.
  7. Mix well. Add grated coconut and ghee and keep on cooking until the mixture becomes dry.
  8. Remove from flame and serve it hot or warm.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 21

Labels: , , , , ,