Godhumai Ravai / Broken Wheat Upma

Today is the fourth week of Blogging Marathon # 21. I am posting under the theme Upma. Upma is my favourite breakfast. In mom's place she used to prepare upma once or twice a week and we never complained about it. She used to make the tastiest upma. But after marriage, I found out that hubby hates upma. It was an interesting incident and I remember it very clearly because it was the very first fight we had after marriage. I will talk about this fight tomorrow as I am pressed for time now. Now it is different and when I make it once in a month he grunts when I say I am preparing upma , but after he tastes it he says that it is good. When I said I am doing a theme on upma, you should look at his face. Then he said OK I will try it. He need some crunch in the upma and so I added an extra sauteed onion at the final stage to retain its crunch. IT was so nice and we thoroughly enjoyed it. But you know what, he will forget about it completely and will give me a curious look when I say about upma being the breakfast tomorrow. 


Ingredients:
Broken Wheat/ Godhumai Ravai -1 cup
Water-3 cups
Oil-2 tbs
Mustard- Urad Dhal-1 tsp
Green Chilly-3-4
Curry Leaves-1 sprig
Onion-3
Green Peas-1/2 cup
Beans-5-6
Radish-1
Carrot-1
Salt-to taste
Coriander Leaves-2 tbs
Grated Coconut-For Garnish

Procedure:
1. In a pan dry roast broken wheat until it changes colour. Transfer to a plate.
2. Add oil in the same pan and add mustard urad dhal. When they crackle add curry leaves.
3. Add green chillies and 2 chopped onions.
4. Saute until translucent.
5. Add the vegetables and saute.
6. Add salt and sprinkle water. Cover and cook on low flame until the vegetables are cooked.
7. Add water and bring it to boil.
8. Add the roasted rava and stir on medium flame until the rava absorbs the water.
9. In another pan, add a tsp of oil and add the remaining chopped onion. 
10. Saute until golden. Add this to the upma and give a nice stir.
11. Take a ladle full of upma on the plate, top woith coconut and coriander leaves.
12. Serve hot along with chutney or pickle.


Labels: , , ,