Eggless Orange Walnut Cake

Though I have been posting on all days of last week, I completely forgot that my blog is two years old. I got my camera for the first year of completion as a gift from hubby but this year we forgot. These two years has been a fun filled journey and I made a lots of friends. I learned many cooking and baking techniques in the last two years. When I look back on my baking knowledge before the blog, I can say that I have come a long way after these years. But I still need to go a long way. Recently I ordered a book from Reader's Digest- Baking With Love. The book is a treasure house of recipes and tips. Today I went through those recipes and tried adapting a recipe to my taste. I made this cake to celebrate the completion of two years of blogging. The cake was so soft, fluffy and full of orange flavour with a crunch from the walnuts. I didn't expect it this good. We loved it a lot and after two months, Sruti took a bite of the cake. She couldn't resist the urge to take another piece but I had to restrict her as she is recovering from typhoid. 




Click For Printable Recipe
Ingredients:
All Purpose Flour/ Maida-1 2/3cup
Corn Flour-1/3cup
Baking Powder-2 1/4tsp
Granulated Sugar-2/3cup
Milk-1/2cup
Apple Cider Vinegar-1tsp
Butter-1/2cup
Orange Essence-1tsp
Fresh Orange Juice-1/4cup
Orange Zest from 1 orange
Walnuts-1/2cup

Icing:
Fresh Orange Juice-2tbs
Powdered Sugar-1cup

Procedure:
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Grease and dust a 7 1/2" square cake tin.
3. In a bowl add flour, corn flour and baking powder and mix well.
4. In another bowl add butter, sugar and beat until fluffy.
5. Add the milk, vinegar, essence, zest and orange juice and beat until light and fluffy.
6. Add the flour mixture and fold in.
7. Add chopped walnuts and fold.
8. Pour the batter into the prepared tin, smooth the top.
9. Bake for 25-30minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean. If the cake browns fast, cover the top with a foil to avoid it.
10. Remove cake from tin and place on wire rack and wait until it becomes warm.
11. Place the cake on the serving plate. Prick all over with a tooth pick and pour 2-3tbs of orange juice on it. The cake will soak up the juice.
12. Mix icing sugar and orange juice for icing.
13. Pour it on the cake and set it aside until completely cool.
14. Slice it up and serve.




Beat butter, sugar, milk, vinegar, essence, juice and zest until light and fluffy.




Add the flour mixture.




Fold in the chopped walnuts.




Transfer batter to a greased and dusted tin.




Bake until done.




Pour orange juice over the cake.




Mix juice and sugar for icing.




Pour it on the cake.




Slice it up and serve!!




Today is also the fourth week of blogging marathon #20 and I am posting under Kid's Delight Party Special by Srivalli. This cake will make a great treat at a party. 







Labels: , , , , , , , ,