Ulundangali / Ulundu Kali

Happy Independence Day to all my readers

For this month's Indian Cooking Challenge, Srivalli chose Ulundangali ( Urad dhal halwa which uses sesame oil. She gave us two recipes to try. I opted this recipe which uses equal quantities of rice and urad dhal. This kali is given to girls at the time of puberty. It is also a great medicine for those suffering from back ache. My aunt used to prepare this and once when I suffered from back ache, she prepared the flour for me. I prepared the kali and had it when ever I was hit with ache and there was a great relief. I haven't asked her about the proportions. I followed Srivalli's recipe and the result was great. It was delicious as I added 2 tbs of ghee along with sesame oil. If you want to make it as halwa, just substitute the sesame oil with ghee and add some chopped roasted nuts. It will make a great dessert. Actually jaggery/ karuppatti is used. But I have used brown sugar/ vellam. You can also used sugar instead. The taste varies according to the sweetener used. 


Ingredients:
Raw Rice/ Pacharisi-1/2cup
Urad Dhal-1/2cup
Brown Sugar/ Vellam-2cups
Sesame Oil-4tbs
Ghee-2tbs
Cardamom Powder-1/2tsp
Water-2cups

Procedure:
1. Dry roast rice until golden and puffy. Transfer to a plate.
2. Dry roast urad dhal in the same pan until golden. Transfer to the plate with rice.
3. Once cool, grind dhal and rice together in a mixer to a coarse powder.
4. Grate brown sugar and add 1/8cup of water to it.
5. Heat the mixture and keep it on flame until the sugar melts.
6. Strain the syrup to get rid of impurities.
7. Bring water to boil. Add the powder and stir well to avoid lumps.
8. Cook on low flame until the mixture thickens.
9. Add the syrup and cardamom powder to the mixture.
10. Mix well. Keep flame low because this splutters a lot.
11. Add the oil and ghee and keep on stirring until the mixture leaves the side of the pan.
12. Allow it to cool. You can either serve it warm or at room temperature.


Roasted rice and dhal.



Grind to a coarse powder



After adding all the ingredients, the mixture is like this.



Cook until it leaves the sides.

 Sending this to Walk Through Memory Lane hosted by Archana and started by me.

Labels: , , , , , , ,