Perichai Thengai Urundai / Dates Coconut Balls

After finishing Varalakshmi Vrath, the coconut placed in the kumbum has to be used to prepare a sweet. I had paneer, mawa and dates at hand and so I prepared these delicious balls including all the ingredients. The usual thengai urundai doesn't contain paneer or dates in it. But after tasting these I will never miss adding them in the future. At first I started preparing burfis but after I poured the mix into the tin and waited for it to set, I was disappointed. It didn't become firm ( I didn't have patience. If left for 2hours, it would have made great burfis too!!) So I removed it from the tin and made these cute balls and place it on a plate. I allowed it to air dry for 2 hours and they became firm. When you take a bite, it is crispy on the outside and slightly juicy and syrupy inside. We loved it. I also shared it with my SIL and FIL when I visited them.



Yields 80-85 small urundai
Ingredients:
Grated Coconut-3cups (loosely packed)
Crumbled Paneer-1/2cup
Mawa/ Khoya-1/2cup
Sugar-2 1/2cups
Chopped Dates-1/2cup
Cardamom Powder-1/2tsp
Ghee-2-3tbs
Milk-1cup

Procedure:
  1. In a saucepan, take coconut, paneer, mawa, milk and cardamom powder.
  2. Stir until well combined.
  3. Heat the mixture and bring it to boil.
  4. Simmer and cook until the coconut is cooked in the milk and the mixture is almost dry.
  5. Add sugar and dates.
  6. Keep on stirring until the mixture is thick. Be careful because it splutters a lot.
  7. To avoid spluttering cook on low flame.
  8. Add ghee and cook until the ghee separates and the mixture no longer sticks to the sides.
  9. Transfer the mixture onto a large plate and allow it to cool.
  10. Once cool, shape it into small round balls.
  11. Arrange on a tray and allow it to set.
  12. At first the balls will be very soft but after 2hours, they will dry and become firm.
  13. Store in air tight jar.

Labels: , , , , , ,