Bengali Kichdi

I didn't know about this kichdi until one day when my mom asked me about it. My SIL asked my mom about this and my mom asked me to search the web for the recipe. Then I browsed the net and wrote down this recipe. I forgot to note down the source so I couldn't give the link here. Usually kichdis use moong dhal but this kichdi uses masoor dhal and it has some spices in it. When I prepared it at home, we felt that some more green chillies would have been nice. It lacked the hotness of chillies. We had it with a hot mango pickle and roasted papad. It was nice and next time I am thinking of adding red chilly powder for that extra kick. Today is the second day of 4th week of BM#18. 




Ingredients:
Rice-1/2cup
Channa Dhal-1/2tbs
Masoor Dhal-1/2cup
Cumin Seeds-1/4tsp
Cinnamon-a small piece
Bay Leaf-1
Shallots-6
Cardamom-2
Clove-1
Grated Ginger-1/2tsp
Green Peas-1/4cup
Baby Potatoes-5-6
Carrot-1 small
Garlic Grated-1/2tsp
Turmeric Powder-1/2tsp
Green Chillies-4
Water-3cups
Salt-to taste
Ghee-2tbs
Garam Masala-1/4tsp
Coriander Leaves-3tbs

Procedure:
1. Soak Rice for 30minutes.
2. Soak the dhals for 30minutes.
3. Wash and drain rice and dhals.
4. Heat ghee and add the spices. 
5. When they crackle, add shallots, ginger, green chillies and garlic and saute until the shallots are brown.
6. Add the cubed carrot, peas and boiled potatoes and mix well.
7. Saute for a minute and add the dhals and rice.
8. Saute for a minute.
9. Add water, turmeric powder, salt and garam masala.
10. When it comes to boil switch flame to medium and cook until the rice is 75% cooked.
11. Add the coriander leaves, cover the pan with lid and cook until the rice is completely cooked.
12. Serve hot with papad and pickle.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#18

Labels: , , , , , , ,