Malai Peda

Every time I prepare a sweet, I need a reason to do so. Yesterday, Gayathri's Cook Spot was mentioned in an article in Deccan Chronicle-Chennai Edition and I am very happy for that. I wanted to share this with all my readers without whom this is impossible. Okay, now I got a reason to prepare a sweet. I searched for a recipe in Tarla Dalal's Mithai, and saw the recipe for malai peda.  As Sruti is a great fan of milk sweets, I prepared it today.   The peda was so soft and little bit grainy. The pistachios are used as garnish. Don't they look cute? It took nearly 4hours to prepare this sweet. I had to reduce 2 litres of milk to khova consistency and it took 3 hours on low flame. I got 50 pedas with 2 litres of milk. As I need to take it to my in-law's place for my nephew and nieces, I prepared so much. But if you are preparing for 2-3persons, then 1/2-1 litre of milk would be sufficient.




Ingredients:
Makes 50 pedas:
Milk-2litres
Saffron-10strands
Sugar-1cup
Cardamom Powder-1/2tsp
Citric Acid-4pinches
Corn Flour-2tbs
Milk-4tbs
Chopped Pistas For Garnish


Procedure:
1. In a small kadai, dry roast saffron strands. Add 2tbs milk and let it dissolve.
2. In a heavy bottomed pan, heat milk.
3. Let it boil until it reduces to half the quantity.
4. Add the saffron infused milk and sugar and let it boil for 5 more minutes.
5. Add citric acid to 2tbs water and let it dissolve.
6. Add it gradually until the milk curdles a little. Stop adding the solution when it curdles a little. We do not want paneer out of it.
7. Mix the corn flour with the remaining milk and add it to the reduced milk.
8. Let it boil until the mixture thickens and leaves the sides.
9. Pour on a plate and allow it to cool. It will become solid after cooling.
10. Divide the mixture into 50 equal portions.
11. Roll each portion into a ball. Press the centre to make a small indent and fill it with chopped pistas.
12. Arrange on plate and allow it to dry a little.
13. Serve. Store the remaining pedas in refrigerator.


The paper clipping from Deccan Chronicle. I would like to thank them for the mention.

Labels: , , ,