This is a very simple and delicious rice variety which I prepared for the Punjabi Thali. This is very apt for your kid's lunch box as it is not spicy. My daughter liked it a lot as the carrot was seen studded on the rice. It is very colourful and pleasing to have it served on your plate. You can do it both ways. Either add the carrot mixture to cooked rice and mix or add uncooked rice to carrots and cook both together. As I had cooked rice on hand I went for the first option.
1. Fluff the cooked rice with a fork to separate grains.
2. Heat ghee in a pan and add all the spices.
3. When they crackle, add onions and saute until golden.
4. Add carrot and salt and saute until the carrot is cooked. Remove from flame. If you like it crunchy then remove from flame when half done.
5. Add the cooked rice to the mixture. Carefully mix the rice so that it doesn't turn mushy.
6. Serve along with raitha and gravy of your choice.