South Indian Thali

Here is one more thali which MIL prepared on each Tuesday. Paruppu is a very important gravy in our household. MIL often prepared this. When I came home after marriage, my SILs warned me not to prepare paruppu, because K hates it. But I was confident in turning him around and I should say I succeeded. MIL prepared paruppu with a simple mustard and curry leaves seasoning and so K felt that it was a bit bland. So I prepared it a little spicy. At mom's place, we add a lot of green chillies, onion and coriander leaves that the bland paruppu becomes flavorful and delicious. When hubby relished the paruppu I prepared MIL was shocked. Until the day she expired she told me about his hate for paruppu and how I changed it. Even she liked the way I prepare. Butter beans poriyal and cheeni avaraikai poriyals are his other favorites. I have given the recipe of MIL for those. We had a hearty lunch with this spread. K enjoyed it a lot.





Today's Menu:

Rice
Paruppu
Poricha Rasam
Cheppankilangu Varuval
Butter Beans Poriyal
Cheeni Avaraikai Poriyal
Aval Vadagam
Curd
Sweet  Mango Pickle



Paruppu(click to view recipe)





Poricha Rasam(click to view recipe)

Today's Recipe:
Cheeni Avaraikai Poriyal:


Ingredients:
Cluster Beans/ Cheeni avaraikai-200gm
Onion-1
Tomato-1
Salt-to taste
Oil-1tbs
Mustard-Urad Dhal-1tsp
Sambar Powder-1/2tsp or to taste
Turmeric Powder-1/4tsp

Procedure:
1. Wash and cut cluster beans into 2cm pieces.
2. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add mustard and urad dhal.
3. When they crackle add onion and saute till golden.
4. Add tomato and saute until the mixture becomes dry.
5. Add the cluster beans along with salt, turmeric powder and sambar powder.
6. Add 1/4cup of water and put the lid on.
7. Pressure cook for 2 whistles.
8. Remove cooker from flame, release pressure and open lid.
9. Put the cooker back on flame if there is water left.
10. Cook until the poriyal becomes dry.
11. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.

Other dishes:



Cheppankilangu / Arbi Sesame Roast(click to view recipe)



Butter Beans Poriyal


Aval Vadagam(click to view recipe)





Home Made Curd(click to view recipe)



Sweet Mango Pickle(click to view recipe)


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#15
Sending this to Srivalli's Thali Mela

Labels: , ,